Friday, December 31, 2004

Musings on 2004...

Year end laxity and the fact that 99% of the work force here in my work place is on vacation has kind of put me in the vacation mode – in other words, no work is being done. I don’t feel like it either, which is nothing new, but this is year end time…! Just a few more hours to go to finally call 2004 another sloppy useless year in my life. To add to the mess I had been to the gym yesterday and ran 6 miles like a big hero and got my legs jacked seriously today. I am used to running such distances, but something went wrong yesterday. So here I am sitting with a painful right leg and writing stuff to give headaches to those who are dumb enough to read these.

The gals of my age group are busy in contributing to the continuation of the species. Others are into similar games, but are not keen on having the output so fast. Yet others, like me, are seriously weighing the decision to get married or not! Not much choice on that front really, considering biology is something of a formidable force. So sooner or later it is going to be traversing through the long treaded path of family and wife and nagging and kids and … my god.

Looking back at anything is not the way I go ahead about things. But sometimes it is tempting, like this year end time. It is tempting and disappointing too to see the results of another futile year on the planet. This year mainly comprised of about 200 days at work place.. it is the worst swear I can give to 2004. But honestly speaking it was not so bad. I flew business class to the US. Business class? I can see my Indian friends gasping for breath, for those poor souls have only traveled in economy through Indian service companies! Snigger, snigger.. My company, after its many years of existence learned that it is a futile thing to pay more to thankless disgruntled employees. Instead they decided to make our preferred airline rich. So these days all of us travel business class. No joke. Of course, US branches have always done that, but when bad times came in 2001-2003, the top management there suddenly decided that they could save good money by letting their Indian counterparts travel the way the world travels – economy class. But a dramatic quirk of fate brought back human travel to us Indians this year mid. So at least in that aspect we are at par with our American brethren.

2004 has not just been about work. My parents decided it is time to curb my freedom. I saw a couple of girls and thankfully nothing worked out. Most of the girls I saw were waiting anxiously for Tom Cruise. I tried to convince he gets in and out of marriage like a slimy reptile, but the girls preferred that instead. My stand on the church and its associated wisdom was disliked by a few of the females I had the privilege to see. Wisdom prevailed…

I read a good number of books – Krishnamurti and osho have laid their consecrating hands upon me. I was reading a book named My Diamond Days with Osho by one of his close disciples. This year it was another series of blasphemous literature like The Last temptation by Kazantzakis. If you have a taste for Krishnamurti, his books can be superb. You will get to know in the first few lines whether you have a taste for him or not. Osho is always delightful, sparklingly intelligent and irreverent!

I have been getting enough exercise since I cycle to work and back. So that it is about 24 km total a day. When I told my boss that I take the longer route to work, he said "you are so eager to get to work!". So this year there was some good cycling. Besides, I met my guru Shreekumar at the cycle shop where I get my cycle repaired. This gentleman is a top notch cyclist – see his blog at http://shreekumar.blogspot.com/. I consider my luck that I have always been able to be friends with and understand individuals who tread outside the commonly used paths.

Not a single year passes without some major blunders. This year I went to tickle and queendom and did a few IQ tests and came back crying since they said I was retarded. Mmmm. Don’t smile and snigger and feel superior. If I am retarded, then what about the people who are reading these pages? You should be even more so.

I am hoping that my sign Libra behaves well and gives me a good year ahead!

So looking back, it was a nice year. Tsunamis and all for entertainment. As each of these years go behind, one thing is dead sure. We are ALL growing older – whether we are growing is a different question altogether. I will let posterity answer that.

No comments: